Navigating through the BS during a pandemic
There have been so many fake posts about what to do to avoid COVID-19 and it is so much to sift through. I’ve narrowed down the list of things that I am taking daily to the list below. I am continuously monitoring changes and reading case studies to see what doctors in China and other parts of the world are using to supplement treatment for COVID-19 and to protect themselves while they are in continuous contact with these patients.
You can order any of the supplements mentioned below from Fullscript.
1. How to optimize your already healthy immune system
- Vitamin C at 500-1,000 mg several times a day 30-60 minutes apart. It is important to space out the doses, as it is water-soluble and your body can only take on a certain amount at a time and you want to optimize what you are absorbing rather than excreting. I use the powdered form sometimes for better absorption.
- 5000IU of Vitamin D with a meal for optimal absorption.
- Probiotics daily and eating fermented foods to promote a healthy gut microbiome as 70% of our immunity lies in the gut.
- Reduce sugar intake as much as possible – this is hard because we are all home and I know baking brings a lot of us comfort.
- Zinc is an important mineral that fortifies immune function. I take between 10-30 mg/day right now.
- Selenium – many viruses are thought to develop in selenium deficient areas. It is a powerful antioxidant and immune booster. I eat two Brazil nuts a day to get my selenium.
- Olive Leaf Extract – I take 500 mg a day. It has been found to boost the immune system and has been shown to have anti-viral properties.
Saline Nasal Wash – I use the Neil Med Sinus Rinse Aid to irrigate the sinuses.
- Daily Exercise and Meditation to reduce stress and boost endorphins.
- Acupuncture – has been shown to boost immunity and balance the immune system
2. What to do after exposure or start of symptoms (this is not an exhaustive list)
- Same as the above recommendations but increase your dosage. If you are pregnant consult your OBGYN first.
- Chinese Herbs have been used for colds and flus for centuries. Fortunately, there is a lot of information coming out of China regarding what they used successfully along with Western medicine to treat COVID-19.
- Consider a natural anti-viral support such as Wellness Formula or reach out for an online Rx or a Telehealth consult.
3. How to keep kids healthy
- Vitamin C chewable or in powdered form. Please consult your pediatrician for dosing
- Vitamin D liquid form, please consult your pediatrician for dosing
- Children’s chewable probiotic